Laser devices have been used in different areas of medical treatment for about forty years. Wave length and strength determine the usage areas of Laser in medical treatment. The common feature of the Lasers is that they produce single wave length and parallel progressing light beam energy.
During laser epilation the laser light aims at the melanin pigment (the dark pigment which gives hair its colour ) and by reaching at the high energy level, it creates destruction at the hair follicle.
As the dark and thick hair holds on to the light stronger and conducts higher heat to the hair root, the treatment would be more successful in such cases.
Laser is effective on the hair that are in the active growing stage (anagen). Depending on the percentage of the hair at the anagen stage, repetitive sessions will be needed to provide complete epilation by laser method.
Melanin pigment is what gives hair its colour. 60011OO nm wave length can easily be absorbed by melanin. Some of the most commonly used laser systems are as follow:
- Alexandrite laser: 755 nm
- Diode laser: 810 nm
- Nd laser: 1064 nm
Most of the Laser devices have systems cooling the skin such as gas, cool air during most of the applications. The aim of these cooling systems is to reduce the pain and to lover risk of burning and skin blemishes.
- Provided that the right dosage adjustment is done according to the hair type and colour, the risk of any side affect is low.
- Redness may occur after the application. It takes one or two hours and rarely one or two days to heal. The little blisters occurring at the roots of the hair are the signs of effectivity.
- Water blisters may occur at high energy (level)
- Rarely pigmentation ( hypo – hyper) can be seen. Generally, it will disappear within one week to one month.
- The skin holds on to more energy on dark complexion compared to light complexion and this may cause skin blemishes. Due to the reason that Nd Yag lazer leaves less energy on the surface of the skin, It is more suitable for dark complexion.
- When the skin is tanned, it holds on to more energy and this may cause skin blemishes.
- The skin should be protected from sun exposure ten to fifteen days after the application.
- The application will be more successful on the condition that the skin is darker and the hair is lighter.
- Protective goggles should be worn during the application.
- The number of sessions may vary according to the skin and hair type.
- In order to achieve success with patients who have hormonal problems, treatment concerning hormonal problems must be done in a synchronized way.
- It is an efficient method for the treatment of under skin hairs.